Crime in Jamaica
Jamaica ranks between the 2nd and 5th most murderous countries in the world between the years 2017 and 2019 based on a report by WorldPopulationReview.Com. This is based on the size of its population concerning the number of intentional homicides.
- We know that political corruption is the leading cause of poverty and crime in Jamaica. It undermines the economy and reduces the effectiveness of our police and justice system while diverting tax dollars away from where they are most needed. We will eliminate this culture of corruption at its source.
- The only legitimate use of force is in defence of individual rights — life, liberty, and justly acquired property — against aggression. This right inheres in the individual, who may agree to be aided by any other individual or group. We affirm the individual right to keep and bear arms and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defence. Private property owners should be free to establish their conditions regarding the presence of personal defence weapons on their property. We oppose all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition.
- Uniters want all members of society to have abundant opportunities to achieve economic success. A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others in the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by the government to redistribute wealth, or to control or manage trade, are improper in a free society.
- The defence of the country requires that we have adequate intelligence to detect and to counter threats to domestic security. This requirement must not take priority over maintaining the civil liberties of our citizens. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall not be suspended even during a time of war. Intelligence agencies that legitimately seek to preserve the security of the nation must be subject to oversight and transparency. We oppose the government’s use of secret classifications to keep from the public information that it should have, especially that which shows that the government has violated the law. We oppose the use of torture and other cruel and unusual punishments, without exception.
- Government force must be limited to the protection of the rights of individuals to life, liberty, and property, and governments must never be permitted to violate these rights. Laws should be limited in their application to violations of the rights of others through force or fraud, or to deliberate actions that place others involuntarily at significant risk of harm. Therefore, we favour the repeal of all laws creating “crimes” without victims, such as gambling, the use of drugs for medicinal or recreational purposes, and consensual transactions involving sexual services. We support restitution to the victim to the fullest degree possible at the expense of the criminal or the negligent wrongdoer. The constitutional rights of the criminally accused, including due process, a speedy trial, legal counsel, trial by jury, and the legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty, must be preserved. We assert the common-law right of juries to judge not only the facts but also the justice of the law. We oppose the prosecutorial practice of “over-charging” in criminal prosecutions to avoid jury trials by intimidating defendants into accepting plea bargains
What Does A UIC Government Look Like?
As Uniters, we seek to create ONE JAMAICA!
A Republic of Jamaica:
- That is not divided by class, party, colour or community.
- That protects the life, liberty and property of all citizens equally.
- That ensures everyone may live, earn and retire with dignity.
- That is among the safest, cleanest and most orderly of all nations.
A Jamaica that is United, Strong and Free.
Protecting the life, liberty and property of every citizen equally is the essential precondition for a free, fair and prosperous society.
Without this protection, there can be no peace, only poverty, crime and violence.
We must banish the use of force and fraud from our human relationships, as it is only through voluntary, mutually beneficial, exchanges that we may enjoy true peace and prosperity in our families, communities and country.
Consequently, we will defend the right of everyone to engage in any activity that is peaceful and honest, and welcome the diversity, creativity and prosperity that true individual freedom brings.
The society we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power, provided they do not infringe on the life, liberty and property of others.
Our goal is nothing more or less than a society where all are truly free to realize their full potential in a safe, clean and orderly society, and it is to this end that we take these stands.
Help us protect the rights of Jamaicans to their Life, Liberty and Property. To keep our movement going, the United Independent's Congress relies on contributions from its viewers, readers and members.
Donate today and help us to achieve our goal of a Non-Partisan Constitutional Republic of Jamaica that will ensure every Jamaican is able to live and retire in peace and with dignity.